Königsberger grazing cattle
Freedom without borders
The Grüner Kreis association runs three organic farms in Bucklige Welt / Lower Austria and is dedicated to the breeding and conservation of old breeds of livestock. Aubrac cattle cavort on 80 hectares of forest and pasture, Mangalitza - Pigs, Porcs Gascons, Carinthian spectacle sheep, brown mountain sheep and all kinds of poultry. In addition to their individual qualities, these old breeds have one thing in common: they are unsuitable for intensive husbandry. The animals live outdoors all year round and only spend the night in spacious free-range stalls.
The breed comes from the Massif del‘Aubrac, a high plateau in the French Massif Central. The first references to the Aubrac cattle can be found in records from the 17th century. The animals are characterized by robustness as well as excellent maternal properties and are perfect for extensive suckler cow husbandry in the Hunchback World.
It couldn´t be more natural
Aubrac cattle love the outdoors. Although generous open stalls are available, the animals prefer to be on the pasture even in snow, wind and cold. It is not uncommon for cows to give birth to their calves in the snow, which obviously does not seem to bother this resilient breed. As naturally as our Aubrac cattle live, they also eat. Green fodder and fresh spring water from their own well is all that is on the animals' menu. The use of fattening feed is completely avoided. The ox and heifer grow very slowly. In doing so, they develop a particularly aromatic and digestible meat.
Buy organic meat from our grazing cattle
Organic meat directly from the producer
Let us know what you would like to order and collect your meat directly from us or from one of our partners. Take a look at our range, we would be happy to advise you personally.
Enjoy with a consience
Cattle are ruminants whose digestive system specializes in processing grass. Today, beef farms use grain, corn and soy as concentrated feed in order to achieve faster weight gain. Worldwide, a third of the grain is already fed to livestock. Unlike hay and grass, beef concentrate cannot be ruminated on. This has a negative effect on animal health and the quality of the meat. True to the slogan »Feed no Food«, we feed our animals as nature intended: with green fodder and nothing else!
The meat and fat of cattle are valuable sources of energy and carriers of essential fatty acids as well as fat-soluble ones Vitamins. They make an important contribution to a balanced diet. Research shows that feeding based on green fodder significantly improves the health value of beef. The advantages of organic willow beef are obvious:
- More essential fatty acids: Beef from grass feeding contains five times more valuable omega-3 fatty acids than meat from intensive fattening.
- Better fatty acid ratio: The ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids for meat from pasture rearing is many times more favorable than for intensive fattening.
- More conjugated linoleic acids: The meat of grass-fed cattle contains twice as high a proportion of conjugated linoleic acids as that of intensively fed animals.
- More vitamins A and E: The vitamin content in the meat of grass-fed cattle is ten times higher in vitamin A and three times higher in vitamin E than in fattened animals.
- Less fat: Meat from free-range cattle contains less fat and is richer in protein.